Mobile Data Collection using KoBoToolbox
THIS COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR PEOPLE WORKING IN
Impact Evaluation, Monitoring and Evaluation, Academic Research, Market Research, Field Research, Agriculture, Health, Education, WASH, Handicapped, Human rights, Emergencies/disasters, Advocacy, Education, Environment, Small business development, Community development, Rural development, Women, Youth, Population, Rehabilitation, Culture, Capacity Building, Appropriate technology, Income, generation, Private sector, Refugees/displaced
Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, this task was performed with paper and pen, which made it prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allows users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you.
Who should attend?
This training course is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning how to quickly collect and manage data using mobile devices.
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding.
The course will introduce participants to tools and techniques for rapid data collection using innovative mobile data collection tools.
At the end of the course, participants will become familiar with ICT tools and technologies to conduct data collection, extract data for analysis and map collected data using mapping software.
Topics to be covered
- ICT Refresher
- Introduction to Mobile Data Collection
- Benefits of Mobile Based Data Collection
- Challenges facing Mobile Based Data Collection and their work arounds.
- Introduction to KoBoToolbox.
- Introduction to KoBoToolbox.
- Types of questions.
- Data types for each question.
- Questionnaire logic.
- Digitizing/building forms/survey authoring using KoBoToolbox.
- Deploying forms.
Device calibration (Mobile Phones/Tablets)
- KoBoCollect installation and configuration.
- Downloading forms into the mobile devices.
- Collecting data using KoBoCollect
- Hands-on Exercise.
Survey data hosting
- Uploading data to KoBoToolbox
Data Analysis and Visualization using KoBoToolbox
- Data Analysis and Visualization using KoBoToolbox
- Introduction to basic XLSForm syntax for survey authoring.
Intermediate Survey Authoring using XLSForm syntax
- New data types.
- Notes and dates.
- Multiple choice Questions.
- Multiple Language Support.
- Hints, metadata and more.
- Conditional Survey Branching.
- Required questions
- Constraining responses
- Skip: Asking Relevant questions
- The specify (other)
- Grouping questions.
- Skipping many questions at once (Skipping a section). Etc
- Extended data types geoid, image and multimedia
Advanced Survey Authoring using XLSForm syntax
- Repeating a set of questions.
- Special formatting.
- Making dynamic calculations.
- Survey Styling and formatting
- Troubleshooting common syntax errors.
Module V (GIS)
- Introduction to GIS
- Working with Spatial data (GPS Coordinates)
- Introduction to Fusion Table
- Exporting GPS Coordinates (Google maps) to Fusion tables
- Exporting data to Fusion tables using QGIS
- Converting data to shape files
- Choice of Platform
- Discussion on the Choice of Platform
- Integrating Mobile Data Collection tools into projects
This instructor led training course is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at the Livecode Technologies Training Centre in south B Nairobi, Kenya. The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 725 771 853
The course fee is KES 70,000.00 or USD 1000.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Livecode Technologies account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
|Event Date||05-27-2019 12:00 am|
|Event End Date||05-31-2019 12:00 am|
|Cut off date||05-20-2019|