Program and Budget Analysis Using Microsoft Excel Course
Budget analysts working in the government and NGOs are charged with tracking expenditures, reporting on the performance of the financial plan, and forecasting future needs. Rather than only relying on superficial comparisons against previous years’ data and simple (often intuitive) adjustments, they need more sophisticated analytical skills. This course enables students to use more sophisticated analytical tools and advanced features of Microsoft Excel to draw useful and reliable conclusions regarding financial performance, and demonstrate that information graphically to superiors. This results in more productive analyses (less time-consuming, while providing more valuable information), which will aid organizations’ efforts to track expenditures and control budget execution. Approximately 85% of the course time will be spent using Microsoft Excel.
Who Takes This Course?
This course is designed for all program and financial management personnel who want to learn about many of the data analysis tools available in Microsoft Excel to aid in creating more compelling analyses of their programs.
- Navigate the Excel ribbon
- Query databases using the Filter tool and the Advanced Filter too
- Aggregate and display different attributes of a data set using the PivotTabl
- Use Excel’s Descriptive Statistics tool to calculate statistical measures of central tendency, variation, and shape
- Use the Histogram tool to organize your data and create a frequency distribution
- Perform graphical analysis of data
- Use the Rank and Percentile tool to calculate a data item’s rank and percentile ranking
- Use time series data and Excel’s trendline function to forecast future budgets, costs, and workloads
- Learn which trendline (linear, polynomial, logarithmic, or exponential) is the best to use based on R2
- Identify cost drivers using Excel’s Correlation tool
- Develop simple linear and multiple linear regression models to develop forecasts and predictive equations using Excel’s Regression tool
Getting Started: Warm-Up and Review
- The Role of Analysis
- What Is Analysis?
- Program Analysis
- Budget Analysis
- Financial Analysis
- Overarching Analysis Principles
- Excel Overview
- Excel Dimensions
- Review of the Excel Basics
- Order of Operations Review
- Lesson Wrap-Up
Querying and Analyzing Data
- Building Background
- Sorting and Querying/Filtering
- Excel's Filter Tool
- Excel's Advanced Filter Tool
- Excel's PivotTable Tool
Computing Statistics on Collected Data
- Building Background
- Frequency Distributions
- Common Shapes of Frequency Distributions
- Descriptive Statistics
- Normal Distributions
- Excel Functions Used with the Normal Distribution
- Rank and Percentile Tool
Time Series Analysis and Forecasting
- Time Series Analysis
- Inserting A Trendline
Correlation and Regression: Analyzing Costs and Performance
- Building Background
- Simple Linear Regression
- Simple Linear Regression Equation
- Excel’s Regression Tool
- Regression Statistics
- Correlation Versus Causality
- The Correlation Matrix
- Multiple Linear Regression
- More Regression Statistics
This instructor led training course is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at the Livecode Training Centre in Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya. The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 725 771 853
The course fees is KES 55,000.00 or USD 550.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Livecode Technologies account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
This scheduled course can also be tailored for your organization. To find out how our tailor-made training can help your organization, call our team on
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
|Event Date||10-18-2021 8:00 am|
|Event End Date||10-22-2021 5:00 pm|
|Cut off date||10-14-2021|
|Individual Price||USD 750|