Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) have improved prospects for solving technical problems through the use of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) for hazard mapping and modeling, the use of web-based data sources to facilitate research on disaster management and the use of searchable databases for hazard information. Not all Caribbean countries, however, have been able to fully utilize these opportunities.
This course aims to impart practical skills on how to use GIS, to overcome the major challenges faced in all phases of disaster management.
WHO IS THIS TRAINING INTENDED FOR?
The training is intended for professionals working in development areas mostly in DRM related fields.
Upon completion of the training, the participants will be able to describe and utilize spatial data through manipulating it in the phases of pre disaster, during disaster and post disaster.
Disaster Management Concepts and Institutional Framework
- Basic GIS concepts and terminologies in the context of disaster management.
- International and Regional Protocols and action plans relating to disaster risk management.
- Introduction to spatial information
Introduction to Geoinformatics, GIS data sources, and data collection
- Geographic Information System
- Data sources for DRM
- Data collection using Global Positioning Systems
- Data collection using Mobile Data Collection (ODK)
- Introducing GIS functions using QGIS
- Preparation of Earthquake Hazard Map
Hazard, Vulnerability and Risk assessment with QGIS
- Types and methods of risk assessment, risk evaluation, vulnerability analysis.
- Spatial data preparation and GIS integration techniques in Microsoft Excel
- Use of GIS in disaster preparedness planning.
- Elements at risk, hazard and vulnerability assessment using GIS.
- GIS Multi criteria analysis in vulnerability assessment.
- Group discussion: How can GIS and RS be used to map existing buildings, infrastructure, land use and critical facilities located in potential hazard areas.
Application of Risk Information for Risk Reduction Planning
- Visualization of risk information Using QGIS
- Risk mapping and database generation using QGIS
- Exercise: Creating a risk map
- Discussion: Use of GIS in the identification of the extent and magnitude of each hazard.
Applications of Geoinformation
- Disaster Scope, Examples & Advancements
- Introduction to Quantum GIS (open source)
Global and National Initiatives
- Overview of The Disaster Management Support Programme
- Key International and Regional Initiatives
- Disaster Management Planning and Emergency Response Case Studies
Public Participatory GIS and Disaster Risk Management
- Participatory GIS as a tool for DRM mapping.
- Use of Google Maps and Google Earth in DRM.
- Community crisis mapping Using Ushahidi.
GIS for Post Disaster Damage Assessment
- Flood inundation Mapping
- Preliminary Flood Damage Assessment
This instructor led training course is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with acertificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at the Livecode Technologies Training Center in Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya. The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 725 771 853
The course fees is KES 70,000.00 or USD 1,000.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Livecode Technologies account through bank on or before the course commences.
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
This scheduled course can also be tailored for your organization. To find out how our tailor-made training can help your organization, contact our team on:
Mobile Number: +254 725 771 853