Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and mapping has been deployed by many diverse organizations throughout the public and private sectors. Many government and nonprofit organizations are using GIS to add value within the public sector. While these organizations are more open and public about disclosing their GIS activities because of the nature of the environment that they operate in, companies in the private sector are less forthcoming with information about their technology systems because of fears that their competitors may copy their technology systems, and thus the company will lose a competitive advantage that makes them better than their competitors.
This course provides hands-on skill of how companies can integrate GIS technology to improve strategic business decision making. These areas of application includes: Marketing, Transportation/Logistics, Real Estate, Financial Services and Insurance.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Non GIS Users, entrepreneurs ,general managers, administrators, professionals working in insurance industry, finance managers, bankers, program managers ,project managers risk assessors, procurement officers, Planners, Database administrator, system administrator, IT expert among others.
- Understand the principles and concepts of GIS in business and economic
- Acquire hands-on skill on how to integrate GIS in key business decision making
- Understand spatial data collection using mobile phones
- Understand to visualize business and economics data
- To understand how to design and publish maps on the web
- Understand spatial data analysis skills
- Acquire cartographic skills in map making
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Geographic approaches to Business and economics
- Everything happens somewhere
- Mapping and evidence based decision
- Geography and national spatial data infrastructure
- Strategic role of geography in business and economics
- Geography of service provision
- Process for using geographic data and tools
Introducing GIS in business and economics applications
- Define GIS
- Spatial Data sources for business and economics related issues
- National infrastructure for spatial data
- Capabilities of GIS
- GIS applications in logistics, operations, marketing and sales and service delivery
- GIS for business and economics applications
- GIS project design
- Introduction to Quantum GIS (QGIS) and its user interface
Spatial data collection techniques for business and economics applications
- Using GPS for spatial business data collection
- Using Mobile Phones for GIS data collection using Open Data Kit (ODK)
- Integrating mobile phone collected data and GPS data in GIS
- Visualizing business and economics data
- Understand different layers in GIS
- Bringing tabular data into GIS (Excel, SPSS, and Access etc.)
- Selecting subsets of map features from geo processing
- Cartographic skill in map making
- GIS as an information reporting tool for organization
Case study: GIS for regulatory purposes to display residential mortgage lending activity on maps
Designing maps for a business and economics study
- Assemble base maps for emergency preparedness
- Reducing GIS data from large coverage to an area of interest
- Cutting points of interest
- Extracting subsets of GIS data for mapping
- Design and building numeric scales for mapping attributes
- Making a digital map from paper map/scanned map
- Making thematic map
- Build professional map' layouts for presentations and reports
- Composing a market share map for retail distributors
- Mapping suppliers
- Mapping customers through geocoding
- Building and coding the new variables
GIS in Retail Analysis
- Spatial modeling for Marketing and store revenue predictions
- Using GIS to determine location of Launch of a new product
- Using spatial data analysis in Mergers and acquisitions
- GIS in Optimizing retail networks
- Using GIS for optimal locations for supply points
- Optimization in location and shortest path analysis.
- Assessing potential of branch outlets using GIS
- Market analysis for real estate developers
Case study: Using GIS to identify high-policy concentration areas in insurance
GIS analysis and mapping techniques
- Comparative Business Site-Location Feasibility Analysis
- Cost/Benefit analysis in GIS
- Proximity analysis/neighborhood analysis
- Multi criteria analysis in business site selection
- Investigate spatial patterns and trends
- Cluster /hot spot analysis
Exploring open data, voluntary Geographic Information, and crowd Sourcing
- Voluntary Geographic Information and crowd sourced projects
- Mapping social media data
- OpenStreetMap and its application in open data
- Downloading source data from OpenStreetMap
- Online publishing interactive and dynamic map
- Creating Custom Web maps without programming using Google earth
Case study: Web GIS to display locations of automated teller machines (ATMs)
Online Publishing of maps and GIS outputs
- Working with Google Maps and Fusion Tables
- Publishing into other web based platforms
- Participatory GIS in Business and economics
No prior knowledge of GIS is required.
This instructor led training course is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a Livecode Technologies certificate.
The training is residential and will be held at the Livecode Technologies Training Center in Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya. The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 725 771 853
The course fees is KES 69,000.00 or USD 950.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Livecode Technologies account through bank on or before the course commences.
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
This scheduled course can also be tailored for your organization. To find out how our tailor-made training can help your organization, contact our team on:
Mobile Number: +254 725 771 853