Land use and land cover change has become a central component in current strategies for managing natural resources and monitoring environmental changes. The advancement in the concept of vegetation mapping has greatly increased research on land use land cover change thus providing an accurate evaluation of the spread and health of the world’s forest, grassland, and agricultural resources has become an important priority. Viewing the Earth from space is now crucial to the understanding of the influence of man’s activities on his natural resource base over time. In situations of rapid and often unrecorded land use change, observations of the earth from space provide objective information of human utilization of the landscape. Over the past years, data from Earth sensing satellites has become vital in mapping the Earth’s features and infrastructures, managing natural resources and studying environmental change.
Participants will therefore acquire hands-on skills in use of Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing as a tool to capture, store, analyze, manage, and visualize land cover/use change and analysis.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Government workers in land departments, Students, agriculturist, urban and rural planners, environmentalist, professionals working in forest department, professionals working in disaster risk management and humanitarian, M&E expert, Data analyst engineers, Public health practitioners, epidemiologists, exposure scientists, quantitative health geographers, risk assessors, teachers among others.
No prior knowledge of GIS is required. Participants will be working on their own laptop with Quantum GIS (QGIS)
- To introduce general and advanced GIS and Remote Sensing in land use/ cover changes.
- To expose participants to Digital Image Processing with more emphasis on classification.
- To demonstrate case study of a selected regions using remote sensing software.
- To develop a sound basis for understanding the operation of GIS and Remote Sensing in Land use/cover change
The training workshop will discuss the application of GIS and Remote Sensing under the following themes:
Introduction to GIS and Remote Sensing
- Introduction to GIS and Remote Sensing in land use/cover change
- Land cover/use change concepts and frameworks
- Drivers of land cover/use change
- Classification System for the Mapping of Land Use and Land Cover
- GIS project design and interpretation
Spatial data and Remote Sensing Platforms
- GIS and Remote Sensing data used for land use/cover change
- Understanding Sensor/Platform Systems for remote sensed data
- Geo database Creation
- Satellite image data sources for land use land cover.
- Using Quantum GIS Software
Data collection and integration techniques for DRM
- GPS/mobile phone GPS for land use land cover data collection using Open Data Kit (ODK).
- GPS, GIS Integration using GIS/RS software.
- GIS and RS for identification of extent of land use land cover
Pre-processing land cover land use image
- Radiometric and geometric image correction
- Temporal normalization
- Imagery Geo-coding and geo-referencing
- Image enhancement
- Thermal bands for use in land cover classification
Land use/cover classification
- Signature development
- Supervised Classification
- Unsupervised Classification
- Classification Accuracy assessment
- Change detection
- Determining Change in Specific Land Cover Types
- Multi -criteria analysis for land use suitability site selection
- Assessment of land use land cover
- Assessment of spatial distribution of land resources
- Monitoring of infrastructure
- Monitoring dynamic changes in urban growth
- Trend Analysis for Land use
- Cluster analysis
- Terrain analysis
- Cost benefit analysis
- Modeling and simulating land use
Online Publishing of maps and GIS output
- Working with Google Maps and Fusion Tables
- Publishing into other web based platforms
This instructor led training course is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a Livecode Technologies certificate.
The training is residential and will be held at the Livecode Technologies Training Center in Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya. The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 725 771 853
The course fees is KES 140,000.00 or USD 1700.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Livecode Technologies account through bank on or before the course commences.
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
This scheduled course can also be tailored for your organization. To find out how our tailor-made training can help your organization, contact our team on:
Mobile Number: +254 725 771 853